The Official Function Form - What, When, Why, & How
What is an Official Function?
Any activity or expense necessary to conduct school business in an efficient and effective manner is considered an official function. An official function is generally defined as a College-sponsored workshop, reception, meeting, activity, or purchase that is consistent with CGCC's mission, goals, and objectives.
When do I need an Official Function Form?
An Official Function Form is needed every time an activity or expense does not appear to be for something necessary to conduct school business in an efficient and effective manner.
Why do I need to complete the Official Function Form?
The Official Function Form is used to document the reason an activity or expense is an official function of the college. We are trusted to be good stewards of taxpayer money and must be able to explain what might appear to be unnecessary. If asked about the expense, this form will be used to explain why the purchase was necessary.
How do I decide if the activity or expense is necessary?
Answer the questions in step 1 & 2. Step 1
If you can answer Yes
the following questions, then the activity or expense is probably necessary.
- Does my activity or expense further CGCC's mission, goals and objectives?
- Do I believe the public will benefit from this activity or expense?
Will the public benefit outweigh the expense?
- Have I checked to see if the item needed is available from another CGCC department?
- If a story was published on the front page of the newspaper that mentioned this purchase, would I be comfortable answering questions about this activity or expense?
What about Budget?
Step 2 If you have answered Yes to ALL the above questions, then determine if budget is available to support the activity or expense by answering the following questions. Remember, most special events that include food are funded with student fees. Would a student be willing to write you a check for this expense?
Do I have funds available?
- Am I ordering the smallest amount needed?
- Have I selected a vendor who will save CGCC's financial resources?
- Can the event time be changed to avoid the cost of food?
- If this is a special event, have I maintained costs with in the recommended costs?
- If funded by a grant or contract, is this an allowable activity or expense?
Special Event - Recommend Per Person Cost (Includes decorations and Commemorations)
Seek Approval Step 3
- Snacks $ .75 -$1.00
- Breakfast $8.25
- Lunch $12.00
- Dinner $20.25
If you have answered Yes
the questions in Steps 1 & 2
, then complete and submit the Official Function Form
, to your supervisor for approval. The form is kept on file in the fiscal office for 3 years after completion of the purchase.MCCCD Legal Services Department - Official Function Forms Official Function Form
- MS WordOfficial Function Form.pdf