Collection Development Policy
The mission of the Chandler-Gilbert Community College Archives is to collect, arrange, describe, preserve, and make available institutional records of enduring administrative, legal, or historical value.
The archives collection is a special collection of the Chandler-Gilbert Community College Library and is housed in the Technical Services area. The scope of the College Archives Collection is as a repository for selected college documents, historical images, and videos/DVD’s for all of the college’s locations. The archives preserve historical and cultural records about college activities, people, and events. The College Archives cannot currently support housing artifacts and will not accept books, articles, or records simply because they were owned by someone associated with the college. The Chandler-Gilbert Archives is not responsible for records retention and disposal per the Arizona State Library, Archives and Public Records.
TYPES OF MATERIALS COLLECTED
- MCCCD Governing Board meeting materials and minutes since the beginning of the college.
- CGCC statements of vision, mission, value, and college goals.
- Major instructional initiatives and Instructional Philosophy,
- Reports, surveys, and planning documents.
- Meeting agendas, minutes, and major reports of college committees.
- Department and division annual reports and organizational charts.
- Major external grant reports.
- Program accreditation reports.
- North Central Association and Higher Learning Commission Self-Study and accreditation reports.
- Adopted budgets.
- Program reviews.
- Architectural plans.
- Class schedules, college catalogs, and student handbooks.
- CGCC calendars.
- Commencement programs and videos.
- Special college events as approved by the archivist.
- Photographs and Chandler-Gilbert-produced videos and DVD’s from selected departments.
- Strategic planning documents and financial reports.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE ARCHIVIST
- Collection development decisions are made by the Archivist and staff.
- The Archivist is responsible for annually informing the college community of the types of materials which must be sent for inclusion in the Archives Collection.
- Reference and research assistance.
- Archives program review and assessment.
The holdings of the Chandler-Gilbert Community College Archives are available to CGCC administrators, faculty, students, staff, college alumni, and members of the community under the following conditions:
- Archival material may be used only on-site in the Archives room.
- Patrons are asked to keep documents in the same order in which they are found.
- CGCC Archives are to be credited on all documents and photographs used in publication or display.
- Use of materials in the college archives is governed by copyright laws.
- Archivist reserves the right to restrict access to all or any portion of its records.
- Digital preservation and access will be considered as future funding allows.
DONATIONS TO THE COLLECTION
The College Archives has policy and procedures in place for formally donating college materials to the Archive Collection. Please see Accepting Donations of College Materials.