Veterans Services | Chandler-Gilbert Community College
Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Sign In
CGCC logo
skip breadcrumbHome > Students > Veterans
This service has been relocated to the new Coyote Center.

 Veterans Services


CGCC Veterans Services

Chandler-Gilbert Community College recognizes the sacrifice of those who have served in the United States Armed Forces. If you are a veteran, or a survivor, spouse or dependent of a veteran, you may be eligible for GI Bill® educational benefits to help you achieve a college education. To determine your eligibility for Veterans Education Benefits, contact the Department of Veterans Affairs.
The CGCC Veterans Services office is an arm of CGCC Enrollment Services. We act as the liaison between the college and the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). The purpose of our office is to coordinate the processing of students' GI Bill educational benefits and, in a broader sense, to connect veteran and military students with the resources and services they need to reach their personal and academic goals.
Registration for summer and fall 2015 terms is now open for ALL students. Remember, until you turn in a Request for Benefits form for the semester, your enrollment is not certified to VA.
Click here to learn how to come to CGCC as a new student and use GI Bill benefits here.​
Click here for more information about the CGCC Student Veterans Organization (SVO).
*GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).
More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government web site at

​How to Use Benefits


The CGCC Veterans Services Office is the liaison between you, the veteran or dependent of a veteran, and the Department of Veterans Affairs. Click on your chapter of benefits below to access the necessary paperwork to request to use educational benefits. Below are the steps you will need to take to start this process.

New students:

Download the Veterans Enrollment Success Pocket Guide, a checklist (with links) of every step needed to apply for GI Bill benefits and enroll at CGCC.

Also download the CGCC Veterans Services Information Packet, which supplies valuable information about your benefits.

New students:

Please be aware that Placement Testing, Academic Advisement (Coyote Kickoff) and New Student Orientation are mandatory for all new-to-college students.

Continuing students only:

Advising is strongly recommended, but if you do not desire academic advising this semester, you may enroll in classes and submit forms directly to Veterans Services. We will verify that your classes apply to your program of study, as required by VA.

All students:

Complete and submit necessary paperwork to the CGCC Veterans Services Office after you are finished registering for classes. Select the appropriate chapter below to determine what you will need to submit.

You will need to submit a new Request for Benefits form each semester after you are enrolled in your classes.

Tuition deferment

Students using GI Bill benefits may be eligible for a tuition deferment, but it is not processed automatically: the Request for Benefits form is required.

Changes in schedule/enrollment

If your enrollment status changes, it is your responsibility to notify the CGCC Veterans Services Office of this change in status. If you do not contact our office in a timely manner, it could create an overpayment of benefits which you will need to repay to VA.

Veteran Residency for Tuition Purposes

Veterans with an honorable discharge are entitled under state law HB 2410 to petition to be reclassified as in-state residents for tuition purposes, regardless of their length of residency in Arizona. This change is NOT automatic: there is documentation that needs to be turned in to the Admission and Records office BEFORE the start of the term:
  1. DD-214 Member 4 showing honorable discharge
  2. Proof of Arizona voter registration (if you already have an AZ driver's license, you can register to vote at
  3. Proof of intent to reside in Arizona, such as an Arizona driver's license. (You can also register to vote at Dept. of Motor Vehicles when you get your license.)
  4. The Domicile Affidavit form, available from Admissions & Records

HB 2410 applies only to the veteran; it does not apply to spouses/dependents or those using transferred benefits.


You may submit forms in-person at either campus, by email at, or by fax at 602.396.5057.

​Enrollment Certification

Once you have submitted all required paperwork to the CGCC Veterans Services Office your enrollment certification will be submitted electronically to the Department of Veterans Affairs Regional Processing Center in Muskogee, OK. This will be done within two business days. Processing time on the VA's end is approximately 30 days from the day the Department of Veterans Affairs receives your paperwork, usually slightly less for continuing students.

You will only be certified for classes required for your program of study. The VA will not pay for repeated courses if the grade already earned is acceptable for graduation requirements or if the courses are elective courses in excess of those needed to meet graduation requirements. This restriction includes transfer credit.

Prior Credit

The VA requires that you have all prior college credit AND your military transcript evaluated by CGCC and credit awarded where applicable, whether or not you used VA benefits to earn the prior credit. It is your responsibility to order official transcripts from ALL colleges previously attended and your military transcript, and to request that CGCC evaluate those transcripts. See CGCC Transcripts page for required steps.

You are allowed a two-semester grace period to have all of your transcripts sent to CGCC and to request they be evaluated. Per VA rules, CGCC Veterans Services will not certify your enrollment to the VA beyond that grace period.

Information on ordering your military transcript is available here.

Concurrent Enrollment

When receiving VA Educational Benefits, you may be concurrently enrolled at more than one school during the same semester, but all classes must apply to one school's degree program. The college which offers the degree you are seeking is considered your "parent school". If CGCC is your parent school and you are taking classes at another institution which certifies students for veterans benefits, please notify the CGCC Veterans' Services Office. You will need to complete the Parent School Letter form.  


Payment of Benefits

Educational benefits are paid in arrears, meaning you will be paid the month after you earn the benefit.  For example, you will not receive payment for the month of August until the beginning of September.


Chapters 30 and 1606- Veterans certified for these chapters must verify their monthly enrollment in order to receive payment.  This verification can be done via the automated phone number 1-877-823-2378 or on the Veterans Affairs Web Automated Verification of Employment (WAVE) website.  You are not allowed to do this prior to the last day of the month OR the last day of the class, if it ends in the middle of a month. Benefits are paid directly to the recipient.
Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill) - Veterans certified for this chapter will be directly paid their monthly Housing Allowance (BAH) and VA Book Stipend.  Tuition and Fees are paid directly to the school. NOTE:  Housing allowance is not payable to individuals on active duty. Housing allowance is not payable for those pursuing training at half-time or less.
Post-9/11 GI Bill book stipend will be released by the VA approximately 10 days before the start of the class. BAH is paid in arrears and prorated by full-time status and by how many class days are in the month.
Direct Deposit is available for all chapters of benefits. Call 1-877-838-2778 to set up direct deposit with VA. 







Overpayment of Benefits

What Causes an Overpayment?

Veterans may receive an overpayment of educational benefits, and as a result, owe funds back to the Department of Veterans Affairs for the following reasons:
  • Complete withdrawal from school
  • Withdrawal from one or more courses which changes enrollment status
  • A non-punitive grade is received
    (Non-punitive grades at CGCC are I(Incomplete), Z(No credit), and W (withdrawal))
  • Change in dependency status
  • Taking courses that do not apply to the declared degree program

This list is not all inclusive and other reasons may also cause an overpayment.

What is Next?

If any of the above circumstances should occur, promptly notify Veterans Services so that the proper steps can be taken. Under certain circumstances, the VA will allow some of the money to be kept, depending on mitigating circumstances. Mitigating circumstances are circumstances beyond the student's control that prevent the student from remaining in class. If you feel your situation warrants mitigating circumstances, you must notify the CGCC Veterans' Services Office or the Department of Veterans' Affairs.
How Will I Be Notified?

When an overpayment is created, the Muskogee Regional Processing Center sends a letter to the student explaining the debt, followed within a few days by a letter from VA Debt Management. This letter contains a payment remittance slip with a tracking number, which should be included if you send payment to the VA.

There is contact information for Debt Management in the letters. If the VA does not hear from the student, the overpayment will be recouped from future monthly benefits, possibly with interest charges added to the unpaid balance due.
If you have any questions concerning the amount of an overpayment, you should contact the Department of Veterans Affairs at 1-888-442-4551.

​Hours and Contact

Pecos Campus

Monday - Thursday
8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

8:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.

(Veterans Center open for student use until 5 p.m. on Fridays)

Coyote Center
2626 E. Pecos Road
Chandler, AZ   85225
Phone: 480,726.4122

FAX: 602.396.5057

Reda Chambers
Veterans Services Coordinator






Williams Campus

Monday - Friday
9 a.m. to 2 p.m.

At other times, see Enrollment Services Desk in Bluford Hall.

Bluford Hall
Room 134

7360 E. Tahoe Avenue
Mesa, AZ   85212
Phone: 480.988.8177

Military Advanced Education  Military Friendly