How to Transfer Records
These instructions are for letter-size paper records transferred to the College Archives.
If your office is considering transferring photographs and negatives, over-sized records such as blueprints and maps, microfiche, electronic records, or other records requiring special preservation, please contact the College Archives at email@example.com
Your cooperation with these procedures will enable the College Archives to preserve and service your office's records more efficiently. Records improperly transferred to the College Archives will be subject to immediate return.
Preparation of folders
- Folders must be letter-size manila folders (buff-colored only). Please recycle any colored folders within your organization. Contact the College Archives at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have paper items that will not fit into these letter-size folders.
- If you need to re-folder items into manila folders, clearly label the folder tabs by printing using a #2 or HB lead pencil.
- The printed folder label should reflect the contents of the folder.
- For example: You are the assistant in the President's Office and have a folder full of president's annual reports; a correct folder label would be: President's Annual Reports, 1987-1999; an incorrect folder label would be: Maria Hesse.
- All obsolete printed folder labeling should be erased.
- Hanging folders and three-ring binders should not be used; they tend to break open the boxes. Re-folder the items in letter-size manila file folders.
- Please remove any rubber bands on folders; they rot and leave stains.
- Folders should be packed in the order they were kept by your office.
- Pack folders loosely—do not overstuff.
Preparation of boxes
- Sturdy boxes with a double-bottom, 12" wide x 15" deep x 10" high, available from CGCC’s Receiving , should be used (e.g., 352-016 from Office Depot); larger boxes will not fit on our shelves and present a safety hazard for staff.
- Boxes should have lift-off lids, not attached lids. Do not tape lids to boxes.
- If the box lid does not fit properly, you may have to repack some of the items. Boxes should be labeled on the outside of one end of the box with your name, office name, and number of boxes. For Example:
- John Doe, President's Office, 1 of 3
John Doe, President's Office, 2 of 3
John Doe, President's Office, 3 of 3
- If you have just a few items that do not require a box, contact the College Archives at email@example.com.
Preparation of the College Archives & Records Transmittal Form & Contents List
- Complete and print a College Archives & Records Transmittal Form & Contents List in MS Word and have it signed by the department head.
- Place a copy in box 1. You should also keep a copy for your records.
- Send a digital copy to firstname.lastname@example.org as an e-mail attachment. The College Archives & Records Transmittal Form & Contents List document should be a Word text file; no PDFs.
- Contact the College Archives so that we may expect your records and can arrange a mutually convenient time.
- The College Archives is located in the Library’s Technical Services, Room L119. The entrance is across the hall from classroom L120