Chandler-Gilbert Community College (CGCC) offers both an Associate of Applied Science degree (AAS) and a Certificate of Completion (CCL) program in Therapeutic Massage. Therapeutic Massage is an Occupational Healthcare Curriculum Program within the Maricopa County Community College District and is accredited by the Arizona State Board of Massage Therapy. Upon completion of the program students will be eligible for an Arizona Massage Therapy License as well as being prepared to sit for the national exam.
Skills and Knowledge
Skills and knowledge gained in the program include the ability to:
- Explain the physiology, benefits, indications, and contraindications and effects of the nine basic massage techniques.
- Appraise and refine therapeutic massage techniques to cultivate mastery of skills, abilities, and aptitudes.
- Describe and demonstrate the attachments, actions, therapeutic stretches, and palpation of trigger points of skeletal muscles.
- Perform a complete body massage appropriate for the client.
- Use therapeutic massage skills in a clinical setting under the direct supervision of a site director and the program coordinator.
Eligibility for Licensure
In Arizona, one must obtain a license from the AZ Board of Massage Therapy before being able to practice. This can be obtained only after the successful completion of a minimum of 700 clock hours of professional training at an accredited school recognized by the Board.
Upon completion of the certificate program or AAS degree in Therapeutic Massage, students are eligible to apply for Arizona State Licensure. To obtain an application packet and/or seek additional information on state licensure go to: www.massageboard.az.gov
This program is also offered at Phoenix College.