Math Module Implementation Q&A Fall 2017
What are the Math Modules?
The modules are seven (7) one-credit courses offered in a five-week format designed to replace MAT08X (Basic Arithmetic) and MAT09X (Introductory Algebra).
Why transition to Modules? Why not stick with MAT08s and 09s?
Students will move to a college-level math class quicker by taking only what they need and the only place to do this is at CGCC!
Our current format is not working…
· Only 15-25% of students testing into MAT08x/09x complete a college level class
· 2010-2015 district pass rates of MAT08x/09x are dismal (45-55% successful completion range)
· Our current assessment & placement system rounds down based on student deficits and ensures a lengthier developmental math sequence
Math Modules address student deficits…
· The aim of the Math Modules is to rip off the remediation Band-Aid and build deep conceptual understanding of mathematical concepts in a 5-week period
· Changing assessment procedures will better ensure students will only take modules for areas in which they are deficient
How will retention/persistence increase?
· Anecdotal feedback from instructors using the module curriculum report that students are “hanging in” at a higher rate. We predict this will continue to be the case in the 5-week framework.
· Preliminary 5-week data from CGCC shows the range of students that successfully complete and move onto the next module to be in the mid 60% to mid 70%. This is significantly higher than district and CGCC pass rates under the MAT08x/09x curriculum.
How will Testing Procedures Change?
· Students will still take the full Accuplacer test.
· Students should allow for additional time (1 hour approx.) for the full placement test
· Retesting for students who desire to test into MAT121 or higher will take place in the Testing Center
· Retesting for students who desire to test out of modules will be handled by the math division on specific days.
Retesting Days & Times As Follows:
*Retesting is not available at the Williams Campus
|7:30 - 11:00AM
||1:30 - 4:30PM
||8:00AM - 4:00PM|
Summary of Question Types to Study for the Diagnostic Assessment:
MAT051: Whole Number Place Value, Multiples & Factors, Operations on Integers
MAT052: Decimal Place Value, Operations on Decimals
MAT053: Proportions, Percents, Operations on Fractions
MAT054: Perimeter & Area understanding, Length of Sides of a Triangle, Conversions
MAT055: Translating Verbal Expressions to Mathematical Expressions, Solving Linear Equations & Inequalities
MAT056: Graphical & Tabular Representations, Inputs & Outputs, Domain & Range, Function Notation
MAT057: Slope and Linear Functions