Help when you need it: 24 hours a day!
Welcome to the Online Tutoring page. In addition to face-to-face help, the Learning Center at CGCC provides online tutoring for students enrolled CGCC courses, via Smarthinking.
You must currently be enrolled in an active, participating CGCC course in one of the supported subjects to use Smarthinking.
With SMARTHINKING you can:
- Connect With an e-structor and interact with a live tutor.
- Schedule a Personal Session with an e-structor of your choice.
- Submit your Writing for any class to our Online Writing Lab.
- Submit a Question and receive a reply from a tutor.
Using Smarthinking Online Tutoring:
Before using Smarthinking, you should view "How to write up your problem" which will teach you how to best phrase your problem or tutoring need so you get back the best possible results. You will see several common types of submissions, and how to translate teacher instructions/what you need/areas of weakness into words for your request that are clear and makes sense to your online tutor.
To USE SMARTHINKING, once you have 'prepared' your question:
- Log in (MEID and Password)
- Enter your problem or essay or attach your document;
- Add comments/make clear your problem or the help you seek;
- Retrieve and apply the response.
DOs and DON'Ts
What you should submit to Smarthinking:
- types of math problems you don't understand, help with formulas or approaches to topics, from basic math to calculus
- drafts of essays and writing assignments for feedback and suggestions to guide revisions
- requests for problem solving strategies for a particular type of assignment
What you cannot do with Smarthinking:
- Use like Google to look up quick definitions and answers
- Have Smarthinking do your research or work for you
- Have them do a specific assignment
Five Ways to Improve your Tutoring Feedback
In order to make the most of your Smarthinking tutoring session:
Look at the sample submissions in "How to write up your problem" for ideas on how to best phrase your question/identify your exact need for help to a Smarthinking tutor.
Always cut-and-paste or attach a complete original description of your essay or assignment and/or any instructions from your instructor;
If you have a common weak area, for example, grammar, quadratic equations, or calculating moles in Chemistry, identify these to the tutor if they may pop up in the assignment you are submitting. Typically look at what comments the instructor wrote on your last paper or exam and write them up in your problem description for the tutor.
Look at the sample submissions or view one of the three general walk-through videos (personal essay, submit a research paper and submit a math problem ) to demo what you need to do.
Always save your 'response' from Smarthinking and take to your instructor or to the Learning Center for further questions, to verify the tutoring recommendations or answers, or if the response is unclear.
Further questions? See our FAQ or send an email to the Learning Center.
- Minimum Operating System Version: Windows XP, Mac OS-X (10.4)
- Minimum Browser Version:
- Windows - Internet Explorer 9, Firefox 12, or Google Chrome 20
- Macintosh - Safari 5 or Firefox 12
- Internet Connection: 56k or greater
- Technical Support: Fill out the online form or email firstname.lastname@example.org (M-F, 8am - 9pm Eastern time)
Trouble Shooting Tips
- Make sure that your browser is set up to allow cookies and pop-up windows. SMARTHINKING uses both of these.
- Make sure that you have Java installed. If you need to install Java, go to http://www.java.com and follow the instructions for the free download.
- Make sure you have Flash™ 7.0.19+ for Windows or Mac OS X installed. Install Flash™ if it is not already installed, or update here.
Need help using SMARTHINKING? Fill out an online form or e-mail Customer Support at email@example.com (M-F, 8am - 9pm Eastern time)
This site is still under construction, so please continue to check back for updates and information!